The Ultimate Flooring Guide: SPC Vinyl Flooring
Welcome to The Ultimate Flooring Guide, a new monthly blog series focused on shining a spotlight on the array of different tiled flooring we have to offer.
Today, our attention is on SPC vinyl flooring – an innovative vinyl flooring product rapidly gaining popularity. But what is SPC flooring, what are the benefits of using it and what interior approaches does it best complement? Let’s explore…
What is SPC vinyl flooring?
SPC is the latest in flooring technology. It cleverly blends the aesthetic benefits of wood with the practical benefits of stone to create a unique vinyl plank.
SPC stands for stone plastic composite. This means that SPC vinyl plank flooring is engineered through a combination of limestone and stabilisers, contributing to a distinctly durable core. Characterised by its several layers, SPC vinyl flooring not only boasts all the functional and aesthetic benefits of standard vinyl floor tiles, but actually enhances them through a rigorous practical design.
How is SPC vinyl plank flooring constructed?
SPC vinyl flooring is constructed through a layered process. As a result, SPC vinyl boasts several practical layers:
- UV coating – providing a finishing protective layer, the UV coating prevents discoloration caused by exposure to sunlight
- The wear layer – contributing to SPC vinyl’s refined stain and scratch-resistance, the wear layer is the transparent top coating applied to the vinyl plank
- The vinyl top coat layer – a thin layer of vinyl, ensuring the flooring is waterproof. This will also serve as the primary aesthetic layer, projecting the pattern, texture and overall look of the flooring
- The SPC core base layer – as previously mentioned, the SPC core is created by engineering a combination of limestone and stabilisers, creating a reinforced durable core
- The underlayer – an optional addition, SPC vinyl tiles can be installed with a foam or cork underlay to help reduce noise and soften the impact underfoot
The Benefits of SPC Vinyl Flooring
With such a unique and distinctive construction process, it will come as little surprise to learn that SPC vinyl flooring boasts a series of advantages when used in both domestic and commercial settings:
- Temperature-resistant stability: thanks to the super durable SPC core, SPC vinyl tiles will remain stable in environments where temperatures are subject to change, such as areas with air conditioning or heating systems
- Ease of application: with a no-nonsense click-lock tongue and groove installation, SPC vinyl plank flooring can be easily applied with minimal hassle – no extra tools required
- Affordability: while the price of your SPC vinyl floor tiles will vary depending on whether you opt for optional underlayers, SPC vinyl flooring is typically a cost-effective flooring alternative that’s often very budget friendly
- Waterproof: SPC vinyl floor tiles are 100% waterproof to provide complete protection against splashes and spills
- Noise reduction: SPC vinyl’s dense core contributes to this flooring being typically quiet under foot, never sounding hollow – particularly if you opt for a noise-reductive underlayer
- Simple maintenance: designed with simplicity in mind, SPC flooring simply requires a regular sweep and mop to be be kept looking their best
- Comfort underfoot: SPC vinyl plank flooring boasts a noticeable cushioning underfoot thanks to the thick, multi-layer composition. Of course, this finish becomes softer still when opting for an underlay
SPC vinyl vs LVT flooring
When you think of vinyl flooring, it’s possible that LVT flooring is the first thing that comes to mind. LVT, standing for luxury vinyl tiles, boast many of the same aesthetic and practical qualities as their SPC counterparts.
There are some subtle differences, however:
- Thickness – SPC flooring is thicker than LVT due to their additional layers. While SPC vinyl flooring is typically 4mm to 6mm in thickness, LVT is often 4mm thick or less
- Sturdiness – this extra thickness contributes to a more sturdy composition with SPC vinyl flooring. Whereas SPC vinyl plank flooring have a stone plastic composite core, LVT have a softer, flexible PVC core
- Aesthetics – while advancements in digital printing have seen the aesthetic quality of both SPC and LVT improve significantly in recent years, SPC vinyl flooring often boasts a more realistic appearance, texture and feel
Where to use SPC vinyl flooring
SPC vinyl flooring is becoming an increasingly popular choice for property owners looking to revitalise their interiors. As a 100% waterproof flooring solution, SPC vinyl plank flooring is often found in areas such as the bathroom and kitchen – here are just some of the ways you can join the trend:
In the bathroom
- Return to nature – return to the much-loved natural aesthetic of stone and wood to embrace nature in your bathroom design. Assert a classic rustic feel with Oak Wood Effect SPC Vinyl bathroom floor tiles, using similar colours and textures on your bathroom walls to create a cohesive natural feel. For the perfect finishing touch, complement with some greenery and other organic materials
- Join the dark side – a dark, moody colour palette can work wonders in giving your bathroom a chic, luxury feel. Make a statement with Midnight Forest SPC vinyl bathroom floor tiles, juxtaposed with shiny chrome features for the ultimate dark aesthetic
In the kitchen
- Champion tradition – traditional kitchen interiors embrace the classic elements of conventional kitchen designs to project a rustic, homely feel. Championing elements of cottagecore and minimalism along the way, assert a traditional aesthetic with realistic wood-look vinyl, like our Grey Oak Wood Effect tiles for example
- Embrace urban – for those who prefer contemporary over classic, achieve a smooth urban aesthetic in your kitchen through an emphasis on dark shades, industrial textures and distinctive ambience. The best place to start? Reinforce a contemporary urban vibe with sleek urban-toned flooring, such as our Smoked Grey Wood Effect SPC tiles that’s offset with brushed metallic and glass accents
It’s easy to see why more and more people are opting for SPC vinyl flooring as their flooring solution in kitchens, bathrooms and beyond! Want to get in on the action? Browse our complete range of SPC vinyl flooring today!