If you’re looking to give your home interiors an update but want something that breaks the mould when it comes to tile patterns and layouts, you’re in the right place. Herringbone tiling is back with a vengeance and, right here, you can browse our collection of herringbone mosaic tiles, which are guaranteed to give your home decor a luxurious touch.
Whether you’re looking for a herringbone tile to glam up your kitchen or a quirky design to spruce up the floors in your bathroom, bedroom or living room, you’ll find a variety of colours, sizes and finishes available in both ceramic and porcelain tile options.
What are herringbone tiles?
Essentially, herringbone tiles are like many other types of tile in terms of materials and the practical benefits, but it’s their thin rectangular shape and the signature pattern they’re laid in that give them their name.
Laid at 90-degree angles to one another, the design of herringbone tiles is said to resemble the bone structure of a fish skeleton - the herring, to be more precise. This pattern can often be confused with chevron tiling, as the two feature similar angular layouts. However, chevron tiles feature diagonally cut edges that typically sit flush with one another to create a distinctive point, whereas herringbone rectangular tiles overlap.
To pull off the iconic herringbone pattern, you have two options. The first is to use individual rectangular-shaped tiles, such as flat or bevelled metro tiles, which are laid perpendicular to each other in an L shape. This method can be a little tricky to pull off as you need to ensure each tile is laid perfectly straight and evenly to prevent the finished design from looking wonky.
The other option is to buy sheets of herringbone mosaic tiles (like those you’ll find here) which are already positioned to give you straight, even lines. All you need to do is align the sheets to ensure the pattern remains straight and consistent for a professional finish.
Whichever option you choose for laying your herringbone tiles, we’d recommend seeking the help of a professional tiler. As one of the more complex patterns, the last thing you want is off-centre lines ruining the luxury look.
Why choose herringbone tiles?
When it comes to deciding whether herringbone tiles are the way to go in your home, we’re here to help. Tiling offers interior decoration possibilities galore throughout the home, but add a striking herringbone tile pattern into the mix and you have a winning combination of style and practicality. Here’s why:
- Water resistance - tiles offer outstanding resistance to water and, whether you choose a ceramic or porcelain herringbone tile, you can enjoy complete peace of mind that your walls and floors are suitably protected. It also goes without saying that your herringbone tiles will be ideally suited to use in wet areas like bathrooms, wet rooms and kitchens
- Durability - throw in the hardness and strength of herringbone tiles and you’ll have a floor and wall covering that’s made to last for years. Scratch and stain-resistant, their hard surface will stand up to daily wear and tear with ease, even in busy areas - helping them to remain looking pristine for longer
- Practicality - it pays to factor in upkeep when you’re choosing tiles for your home, and the good news is that herringbone tiling doesn’t require any special treatment other than a regular wipe over with warm water and a standard cleaning agent. This means you can enjoy the luxurious aesthetic that herringbone tiles deliver with minimal maintenance
- Versatility - the herringbone tile pattern exudes elegance and can be incorporated into your home in countless different ways. With herringbone mosaic tiles in an array of colours and finishes, you can create any look you want. From vintage-inspired parquet floors using wood-effect herringbone tiles to creating cutting-edge glamour with dark blues and shiny black options, the only limit is your own imagination
- Character - one of the real unique plus points of installing herringbone tiles in bathrooms, kitchens and beyond is the character and interest they bring to a space. With their striking pattern, you can instantly add depth and texture. Whether you want to go clean and minimalist using matt white herringbone mosaics or pretty and playful with tiles in pastel shades, it’s easy to bring charm to every room
Style inspiration for herringbone tiles
If you’re all set to make herringbone tiles your decor material of choice in your next home update, let us share some of our favourite design ideas. Even if you have your heart set on a particular colour or design, having a little extra food for thought can’t do any harm...
- Perfect parquet floors - harking back to a bygone era, parquet floors ooze a sense of heritage and class with their criss-cross herringbone design. However, even if you’re lucky enough to have the real deal, these tiles can require regular maintenance to keep them in good condition - but there is another way. Our wood-look herringbone mosaic tile boasts the appearance of an authentic parquet floor with the added bonus of durability and robustness. This makes these tiles the ideal choice for floors throughout the home, leaving you with a stunning wooden floor complete with hassle-free upkeep
- Floors with flair - with herringbone mosaic tiles, you aren’t limited to using them to recreate parquet floors. With their striking pattern and a choice of vibrant colours, you can give floors added flair with a bold style statement. From on-trend black herringbone bathroom floor tiles to smaller mosaic tiles in mixed colours for a stunning decorative finish, the world is your oyster when it comes to using your floors to create a statement feature
- Quirky kitchen splashbacks - walls are also prime real estate for making an impact with your interior design, and a kitchen splashback could be the ideal place to start. Our glossy herringbone tiles in teal boast a slightly antique look and are ideal for injecting colour and character into these functional rooms. For a more modern twist, pair pastel pink herringbone kitchen tiles with grey or white cabinets for a fresh and feminine look
- Blissful bathrooms - if you’re looking to transform your bathroom into a blissful haven, incorporating blues and greens into your design will work a treat - especially with a herringbone tile pattern. From calming mint green to dramatic denim blue, using herringbone tiles in your bathroom will bring texture and depth to this functional space - making it a relaxing place to enjoy spending time
- Luxurious living spaces - kitchens and bathrooms are an obvious choice when it comes to where to use tiles, but you can incorporate herringbone tiles into any living space to create a stand-out feature. From creating luxury fireplaces using soft grey herringbone tiles to using bright white floor tiles in the dining room paired with a colourful rug, the intricate and attractive herringbone pattern is the ideal way to create attention-grabbing focal points in any room you like
Why shop with Tiles Direct?
At Tiles Direct, we’ve built strong relationships with reputable suppliers across Europe to ensure we deliver the best quality products at the best prices, each and every time. This means, if you find the same tile at a lower price anywhere else, we won’t just match that price - we’ll beat it. This price match promise ensures you always get the best deal on the market.
We’re also here to make your online tile buying experience as simple and hassle-free as possible, which is why, with each product, you’ll find a handy online tile calculator to give you a clear view of the cost of the whole job right from the start. We also offer a tile sample service, so you can see how your favourite tile will look in situ before you buy in bulk. Simply order your sample tile online for as little as £1.99.
Once you’re ready to buy, head to the checkout to place your order and we’ll take care of the rest - we’ll even deliver your tiles for free when you spend over £499.
So, what are you waiting for? Browse our complete range of herringbone mosaic tiles online today and give your home a timeless, luxurious update. Got a question for us? Head to our Contact Us page to find the best way to reach us.